Career Opportunities for BSN-Prepared Nurses
Online RN to BSN Program Goals
By providing the knowledge and skills essential to practice in a rapidly changing healthcare environment, our online RN to BSN program prepares registered nurses for professional leadership roles, career enhancement and graduate/doctoral study in nursing. More specifically, you learn to:
- Provide holistic nursing care to individuals, families, communities and populations.
- Apply arts, science and nursing learning in the delivery of high-quality nurse care.
- Translate existing evidence into safe nursing practice.
- Communicate and collaborate respectfully with partners to optimize health.
- Function as a leader and change agent within dynamic healthcare systems using knowledge of health policy and legal principles.
- Adhere to ethical principles while serving as advocate and healthcare provider.
The potential for career advancement is significantly enhanced for nurses who complete an RN to BSN program. In fact, the American Nurses Credentialing Center requires a hospital’s nurse managers to all have a BSN or graduate degree in nursing for it to receive its Magnet designation of distinction. This is due to a growing body of research that indicates lower mortality rates, fewer medication errors and increased positive outcomes are linked to nurses prepared at the baccalaureate level.
“In the past, there was a huge gap in nursing between research and translating it into better patient outcomes,” said Phyllis Pedersen, D.N.P., C.R.N.A., dean of OLOL College's School of Nursing. “Completing the online RN to BSN program allows you to form the ability to understand and translate research into practice. You have to learn how to get into the literature and see what the evidence says. We’re creating, in essence, translators of the knowledge.”
Find out more about the nursing specialities that you can pursue:
And find out what are the Best Places to Work If You're a Nurse.
To enter the program, the student must have completed an RN Program and have an active, permanent RN license. Twenty-four hours of RN-BSN courses must be completed at OLOL College. Each online course is eight weeks in length and can be completed 100% online, two courses at a time.
A full-time student can complete the required nursing courses toward the BSN in two semesters. Transfer credits for courses from other accredited institutions and credit-by-examination will be accepted according to Our Lady of the Lake College policy.
The online RN to BSN program at Our Lady of the Lake College is fully approved by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing and holds accreditation from the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing.
Online RN to BSN Application Requirements
- A diploma or associate degree from an ACEN - or CCNE - accredited nursing program with a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- A permanent, active and unencumbered registered nurse licensure.
Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions by prospective students. You can view all our FAQs here.
- Are your programs accredited?
- Will my degree be different in some way because my work was done online?
- The degree you receive from Our Lady of the Lake College Online is the same degree you would receive had you completed your program at our campus.
- Do you offer credits for work experience?
- No, unfortunately we do not. We do, however, have a generous transfer credit policy that allows you to potentially transfer more than 90 credits towards your bachelor’s degree.
- How do I go to class?
- You go to class by logging in and accessing course materials through an internet capable device such as a computer, smartphone or tablet. Lectures, books and other materials are accessed online where you can read, listen to or watch them. Assignments are typically completed online as well, though you may work on them when not logged in.
- How often will I go to class?
- There are no mandatory login times. You can login to read lectures or complete coursework as needed.
No mandatory log-in times. Take your classes anywhere and any time that works with your schedule.
100% online degree designed for busy nurses. Take 2 eight-week sessions at a time if desired. Graduate in as few as 12 months.
The Department of Education lists us among the most affordable four-year, private, non-profit institutions.