Career Opportunities for BSN-Prepared Nurses
RN-BSN Program Online Goals
By providing the knowledge and skills essential to practice in a rapidly changing healthcare environment, our RN-BSN online program prepares registered nurses for professional leadership roles, career enhancement and graduate/doctoral study in nursing. More specifically, you learn to:
- Provide holistic nursing care to individuals, families, communities and populations.
- Apply arts, science and nursing learning in the delivery of high-quality nurse care.
- Translate existing evidence into safe nursing practice.
- Communicate and collaborate respectfully with partners to optimize health.
- Function as a leader and change agent within dynamic healthcare systems using knowledge of health policy and legal principles.
- Adhere to ethical principles while serving as advocate and healthcare provider.
The potential for career advancement is significantly enhanced for nurses who complete a BSN degree. In fact, the American Nurses Credentialing Center requires a hospital’s nurse managers to all have a BSN or graduate degree in nursing for it to receive its Magnet designation of distinction. This is due to a growing body of research that indicates lower mortality rates, fewer medication errors and increased positive outcomes are linked to nurses prepared at the baccalaureate level.
“In the past, there was a huge gap in nursing between research and translating it into better patient outcomes,” said Phyllis Pedersen, D.N.P., C.R.N.A., dean of OLOL College's School of Nursing. “Completing the RN-BSN allows you to form the ability to understand and translate research into practice. You have to learn how to get into the literature and see what the evidence says. We’re creating, in essence, translators of the knowledge.”
Find out more about the nursing specialities that you can pursue:
And find out what are the Best Places to Work If You're a Nurse.
The online RN-BSN program at Our Lady of the Lake College is fully approved by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing and holds accreditation from the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing.
Online RN-BSN Application Requirements
- A diploma or associate degree from an ACEN - or CCNE - accredited nursing program with a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- A permanent, active and unencumbered registered nurse licensure.
To enter the program, the student must have completed an RN Program and have an active, permanent RN license. Twenty-four hours of RN-BSN courses must be completed at OLOL College. Each online course is eight weeks in length and can be completed 100% online, two courses at a time. A full-time student can complete the required nursing courses toward the BSN in two semesters. Transfer credits for courses from other accredited institutions and credit-by-examination will be accepted according to Our Lady of the Lake College policy.
RN Nursing Coursework Credit (38 credits):
Upon entering the program, you will receive 38 credits towards your degree based on your RN license.
BSN Professional Program Courses (24 credits):
NURS 3340 | Evidence-Based Nursing (Pre-Requisite – Math 2315)
NURS 3345 | Health Assessment
NURS 3350 | Professional Nursing Concepts
NURS 4300 | Leadership Principles in Nursing
NURS 4335 | Healthcare Policy
NURS 4725 | Community Health Nursing
NURS Elective - Choose from:
- NURS 4310 – Successful Aging
- NURS 4320 – Mental Health and Film
- NURS 4325 - Legal Ethical Considerations in Nursing
* NURS 3340 (EBP) is a pre-requisite to all 4000 level nursing courses
Additional Requirements (Depending on Previous Coursework)
Core Curriculum Requirements (12 credits):
- MATH 1315 | College Algebra
- MATH 2315 | General Statistics (Pre-Requisite – Math 1315)
- Arts and Sciences | Elective
- Arts and Sciences | Elective
Arts/Sciences Electives (up to 46 credits):
Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions by prospective students. You can view all our FAQs here.
- Are your programs accredited?
- Will my degree be different in some way because my work was done online?
- The degree you receive from Our Lady of the Lake College Online is the same degree you would receive had you completed your program at our campus.
- Do you offer credits for work experience?
- No, unfortunately we do not. We do, however, have a generous transfer credit policy that allows you to potentially transfer more than 90 credits towards your bachelor’s degree.
- How do I go to class?
- You go to class by logging in and accessing course materials through an internet capable device such as a computer, smartphone or tablet. Lectures, books and other materials are accessed online where you can read, listen to or watch them. Assignments are typically completed online as well, though you may work on them when not logged in.
- How often will I go to class?
- There are no mandatory login times. You can login to read lectures or complete coursework as needed.
The Department of Education lists us among the most affordable four-year, private, non-profit institutions.
No mandatory log-in times. Take your classes anywhere and any time that works with your schedule.
100% online degree designed for busy nurses. Take 2 eight-week sessions at a time if desired. Graduate in as few as 12 months.